Leesburg VA Dentist
Leesburg VA Dentist | Maintaining your regular dental cleaning appointments is a great way to help prevent periodontal disease, while dental exams provide an opportunity for your dental team to spot any trouble signs before they become a serious problem.
If you have fallen behind with these vital appointments, contact your Leesburg VA dentist to get back on track.
Why are dental exams and cleanings necessary? Isn’t regular brushing and flossing enough?
While maintaining oral health habits like brushing and flossing are extremely important, they are not always enough. There are some places, for example, that your toothbrush may be unable to reach. Or you may have a dental bridge or some type of appliance that obstructs your brushing somewhat. Your Leesburg VA dentist has the tools and training to clean these hard-to-reach areas to prevent the formation of plaque and tartar.
What is plaque and tartar?
Plaque is a sticky biofilm that adheres to your teeth due to the presence of oral bacteria. Although you cannot always detect it visibly, plaque creates an acidic environment that can, over time, damage tooth enamel and cause a cavity.
Left untreated, plaque hardens into tartar. Only your dental hygienist or Leesburg VA dentist can remove it when you visit for a dental cleaning.
What should I expect at my dental exam and cleaning appointment?
Cleaning appointments typically take anywhere from 30 minutes to one hour while you are in a dental chair. Normal parts of a dental cleaning and exam include:
- Tartar removal: Even if you regularly brush and floss at home, tartar can accumulate on your teeth, which can be removed using special dental tools.
- Teeth polishing: This part ensures that your teeth regain their original shine and smoothness.
- Gum health evaluation: Your Leesburg VA dentist will be checking for signs of early gum disease and looking for signs of any bone loss.
- Oral cancer screening: Oral cancer is a serious disease that is normally successfully treated when detected early.
- Medical history review: Your health is always changing, so your dentist will want to ensure that they have the most up-to-date information. If there have been any recent changes to your health status, inform your dental team at this time.
Are dental cleanings uncomfortable or painful?
It is possible to experience some minor discomfort if you have been neglecting your at-home oral hygiene. But don’t neglect these important appointments for fear of discomfort.
Schedule Your Dental Exam and Cleaning
It is critically important that you maintain your regular dental exams and cleanings appointments to help prevent serious problems like tooth decay and gum disease. Contact our Leesburg VA dentist today. Call (571) 789-1230 or request an appointment online. New patients are welcome.